What Is Passive Optical Network?
Passive Optical Network (PON) is a form of a fiber-optic access network that uses point-to-multipoint fiber to the premises in which unpowered optical splitters are used to enable a single optical fiber to serve multiple premises. A PON system consists of an OLT at the service provider’s central office and a number of ONU units near end users, with an ODN between the OLT and ONU. PON reduces the amount of fiber and central office equipment required compared with point-to-point architectures.
The most obvious advantage of the PON network is the elimination of outdoor active devices. All the signals processing functions are completed in the switches and the user premises equipment. The upfront investment of this access methods are small, and the most funds investment is postponed until the user really access. Its transmission distance is shorter than the active optical access system. The coverage is also smaller, but it is low cost, no need to set the engine room, and easy to maintain. So this structure can be economically served for the home users.
IET designs and implements Passive Optical Network (PON) solutions for commercial and government customers seeking the latest innovations to reduce IT costs. As a CommScope Premier Business Partner, IET is able to bring this innovation to new and existing IT networks with “end-to-end” fiber to the X (FTTX) architectures. IET also partners with Tellabs to provide Optical LAN to deliver the latest in all fiber solutions. IET is able to offer an extensive set of fiber products and PON solutions to give network owners and operators the ability to transmit voice, video, and data using RFoG, EPON and GPON technologies at saving up to 70% of CapEx, 80% of power requirements and 90% of space requirements.
PON delivers voice, data, and video at higher terabit speeds with lower costs and greater security. Using the same technology as telecommunication carriers to deliver hi-definition television to homes and businesses, PON can benefit customers with less cost to install and maintain, greater capacity, less energy usage, and fewer space requirements. For government customers, PON also provides a higher level of security satisfying SIPRNet and SCIF requirements. CommScope’s EPON solution is DISA JITC (Joint Interoperability Test Command) certified in August 2013 enabling CommScope’s EPON solution to be approved for use in the U.S. Department of Defense networks.e energy
- Project Management and Planning
- Engineering and Design
- Air Blown and Fiber Cabling for PON solutions
- Outside Plant Optical Devices and Enclosures
- Passive Optical Network (PON) solutions
- Ethernet Passive Optical Network (EPON)
- Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON)
- Radio Frequency Over Glass (RFoG)
- PON System Components
- Testing and Operations Support
- Maintenance and Warranty Service
- Lower costs – reduce CAPEX up to 50% & power consumption up to 80%
- Longer lifecycle – fiber solutions expected to last 30-50 years compared to 5-10 for CAT3-7 cable upgrades
- Convergence of voice, data, video with transmit/receive simultaneously over one single-mode fiber
- PON over fiber speeds up to 69 Tbps (terabytes) compared to 10 Gbps (gigabyte) for CAT6
- Improved security – eliminates need for hardened carrier PDS & desktop encryption
- Certified by JITC for use in SIPRNet environments with an alarmed fiber PDS solution
- Run multiple security classifications through the same conduit for efficient networking
- Fiber optic cables difficult to tap and resistant to RF interference and jamming
- Integrates with legacy networks
- Lightweight and ease of installation
- Eliminate repeaters – fiber carries signals 12 miles compared to 300 feet over copper
- Rapid adoption – being used at commercial businesses, data centers, education centers and many more
- Proven and approved technology – in use by DHS, DOE, DOD, Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines and Intel agencies
- Greener technology – Satisfies LEED credits and Federal Executive Order 13423 to reduce energy
Together we can find the best solution to meet your needs.